This is great low calorie healthy snack or side dish. It is high in fiber and nutrition, so forget those processed snack foods found in most supermarket this is a perfect dish alternative.
Tip: Use whole wheat bread if possible it will significantly increase your daily fiber intake and weight loss.
- 1 11-ounce jar marinated artichokes, drained
- 1 can small white beans, drained and rinsed – (beans are a high fiber food)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan Reggiano
- 1/4 cup (packed) fresh basil, chiffonade, plus whole leaves for garnish
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 8 1/3- to 1/2-inch-thick flat country bread
- Lemon wedge
1. Roughly chop artichokes and set aside.
2. In a medium size bowl, toss white beans with garlic, cheese, olive oil and salt & pepper to taste.
3. Fold in artichokes and basil. Adjust seasoning if necessary. Set aside.
4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees, or heat grill pan on top of stove. Brush bread slices on one side with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt. If baking, arrange bread on baking sheet and bake until crisp, about 8 minutes. If grilling, place oil side down first to mark and toast, then flip to mark the other side.
5. Spoon artichoke topping onto bread. Squeeze lemon juice over; garnish with fresh basil.