This is a great tasting low calorie pasta treat – prepare this for your next meal and you will love it.
- 12 ounce(s) whole-wheat short pasta, such as shells or twists
- 8 ounce(s) hot Italian turkey sausage links, removed from casings
- 3 clove(s) garlic, chopped
- 8 cup(s) arugula, or baby spinach
- 2 cup(s) halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup(s) finely shredded Pecorino Romano, or Parmesan cheese, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon(s) freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 tablespoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta until just tender, 9 to 11 minutes, or according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, breaking it up into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, arugula (or spinach) and tomatoes. Cook, stirring often, until the greens wilt and the tomatoes begin to break down, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and keep warm.
- Combine 1/2 cup cheese, pepper and salt in a large bowl. Measure out 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid; drain the pasta. Whisk the cooking liquid and oil into the cheese mixture; add the pasta and toss to combine. Serve the pasta topped with the sausage mixture and an extra sprinkle of cheese, if desired.
Make 6 servings:
Total fat 11g.
Saturated Fat 3g
Dietary Fiber 4g
Learn how to use the best ingredients and simple, classic techniques to make fresh, homemade pasta in your own kitchen with Making Artisan Pasta. C... Read More >