- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, RINSED (see Step 1)
- Sea salt
- ½ cup pine nuts, toasted (optional)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced or 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 cups lightly packed baby spinach leaves (3 ounces)
- ½ cup chopped fresh dill
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint (optional)
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup unrefined, cold-pressed extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces feta, preferably made from goat or sheep’s milk
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste.
1. Rinse quinoa in a bowl with water or place quinoa in a fine mesh sieve and rinse under cold water until water runs clear. Drain and transfer to a medium saucepan with a pinch of sea salt and 1 ¾ cups of water. Bring to a boil, cover and lower heat to a simmer. Cook until water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Let sit, covered for 10 minutes. Quinoa can remain in the pot until ready to combine with other salad ingredients or transfer to a serving bowl and fluff with a fork. Allow quinoa to cool slightly.
2. To the quinoa add remaining ingredients and toss to combine. * Or you can place the spinach on a serving platter and toss with 1 Tablespoon of the lemon juice and 1 Tablespoon of the olive oil. Combine quinoa with remaining ingredients and mound on top of the spinach leaves. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust seasoning, if necessary. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Notes: other additions can include Kalamata olives, halved cherry tomatoes, diced cucumbers, and/or fresh corn kernels.
Cooking from Scratch as Simply as Possible
The Weeknight Dinner Cookbook is the perfect way to get dinner on the table quickly and easily wit... Read More >