Low Calorie Snack for the Superbowl
or anytime your looking for a tasty healthy snack.
There are plenty of black beans that are high in fiber – great for losing weight or maintaining your weight, and fresh salsa, chopped fresh vegetables mean a healthy amount of vitamins and minerals.
The recipe includes reduced-fat sour cream along with full-fat (and full-flavored) cheese to make the dip lighter without compromising great taste. Be sure to have lots of baked tortilla chips on hand when you serve it.
12 servings, about 1/2 cup each
- 1 16-ounce can nonfat refried beans preferably “spicy”
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeño slices, chopped
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack, or Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 medium avocado, chopped
- 1/4 cup canned sliced black olives, (optional)
1. Combine refried beans, black beans, scallions, salsa, cumin, chili powder and jalapeños in a medium bowl. Transfer to a shallow 2-quart microwave-safe dish; sprinkle with cheese.
2. Microwave on High until the cheese is melted and the beans are hot, 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Spread sour cream evenly over the hot bean mixture, then scatter with lettuce, tomato, avocado and olives (if using).
Per serving: 146 calories; 7 g fat ( 3 g sat , 3 g mono ); 12 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein;5 g fiber; 288 mg sodium; 164 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (20% daily value), Vitamin A & Vitamin C (15% dv).
Try These Low Calorie Chips:
Here are some more Low Calorie Appetizers Recipes.